The smell of the grill, the summer sun, and the excitement of a firework display. The Fourth of July holiday is a time for family, friends and celebration of America’s history. Like any celebration, safety should be priority.
According to geteyesmart.org, 1,300 people will injure their eyes with fireworks this Fourth of July holiday. Additionally, the National Fire Protection Association estimates that local fire departments respond to more than 50,000 fires caused by fireworks each year.
Of course, the best way to avoid eye injuries is to attend a professional public firework display instead of having your own show. However, if you decide to purchase your own, here are some tips to protect yourself, your vision, and those you celebrate with.
• Never handle fireworks without protective eyewear and ensure that all bystanders are also wearing eye protection.
• Buy only legal fireworks and store them in a cool dry place.
• Never try to make your own fireworks.
• Never relight a dud firework.
• Soak all fireworks in a bucket of water before throwing them in a trash can.
• Always use fireworks outside and have a bucket of water and/or a hose nearby.
• Never carry fireworks in your pocket, the friction can set them off.
• Don’t hold fireworks in your hand or have any part of your body over them while lighting them.
• Point fireworks away from homes, people, brush and leaves, and flammable substances.
• Never let young children play with fireworks of any type. If older children are permitted to handle fireworks, ensure they are closely supervised by an adult and wear protective eyewear.
• Clear the area of flammable materials and view fireworks from at least 500 feet away.
• Leave the lighting of professional-grade fireworks to trained pyro technicians.
We want you to enjoy your holiday and be able to celebrate with fireworks safely. We know you’ll enjoy them much more taking the extra precautions and knowing that you’re friends and family are safe.
From all of us here at Advantica, have a happy 4th of July holiday!