It’s summer – that wonderful time of year full of beaches, barbeques, and fun in the sun.
While we all enjoy this time to catch some rays, we must keep in mind the importance of enjoying our time in the sun safely.
Most of us are aware of the dangers UV radiation poses to our skin, but the sun also has harmful effects on our eyes. UV radiation can cause such eye problems as cataracts, macular degeneration, benign growths on the eye’s surface, cancer of the eyelids and skin around the eyes, and photokeratitis, which is a temporary but painful sunburn of the eye’s surface.
In celebration of July being UV Safety Month, here are a few ways to keep yourself, and your eyes, safe this summer.
For Healthy Eyes:
• Wear sunglasses that block out 99-100% of both UV-A & UV-B radiation.
• Wear a cap or hat with a wide brim when outdoors to block about 50% of UV rays from the eyes.
• A good choice for sunglasses is polycarbonate lenses (such as Transitions©), which are lightweight and block 100 percent of the sun’s UV Rays.
For Overall UV Protection:
• If possible, stay out of the sun between 10am-4pm when UV rays are strongest.
• Use sunscreen with SPF 15 or higher.
• Cover up with long sleeves.
From all of us here at Advantica, we hope you enjoy your summer!