December is Safe Toys and Gifts Month
The holiday season is upon us, and it’s a time when gifts are given in abundance.
Prevent Blindness America has declared December as Safe Toys and Gifts month. While shopping for toys this year, remember to think of the safety and age appropriateness of gifts prior to purchase.
Prevent Blindness America lists these as the best ways to protect your child’s eyes while playing with toys this holiday season:
- Only buy toys meant for their age
- Show them how to use their toys safely
- Keep an eye on them while they play
Before purchasing a toy keep this in mind:
- Read all warnings and instructions on the box.
- Ask yourself if the toy is right for your child’s ability and age.
- Avoid purchasing toys with sharp or rigid points, spikes, rods or dangerous edges.
- Look for the letters “ASTM”. This means the products meets the national safety standards set by the American Society for Testing and Materials.
Before allowing your child to play with the toy:
- Inspect toys for safe, sturdy construction
- Explain how to use the toy
- Fix or throw away broken toys
Have a safe and happy holiday season and remember these tips when shopping for toys and gifts.