- 16 large mushrooms
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 small zucchini finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
Servings: 16 mushrooms
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Remove the stems from the mushrooms and chop them finely. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped mushroom stems, shallots, garlic and zucchini, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the chopped spinach, bread crumbs, hazelnuts, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the mushroom caps, hollow side up, in a single layer in a lightly sprayed shallow ovenproof dish or on a lightly sprayed baking tray. Heap some of the shallot and zucchini mixture into each mushroom cap and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top. (The mushrooms can be prepared 2 to 3 hours ahead and kept, covered with plastic wrap, in the refrigerator.)
- Bake until the mushrooms are tender and the cheese has melted, about 15 minutes. Serve warm, on a bed of spinach leaves, if desired.
(one mushroom) provides: 53 calories, 36 calories from fat, 4g fat, 1 gram saturated fat, 2 grams protein
Photo and recipe credit: http://www.besthealthmag.ca/best-eats/recipes/stuffed-mushrooms/