February 9th is National Pizza Day! Make your next pizza a healthier one with this recipe that’s loaded with mushrooms, asparagus and red peppers.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (1-pound) package presliced cremini mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 12 ounces refrigerated fresh pizza dough
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1/2 cup lower-sodium marinara sauce (such as Dell’Amore)
- 1/2 cup thinly diagonally sliced asparagus
- 1/4 cup bottled roasted red bell peppers, rinsed, drained, and sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- Place a pizza stone or heavy baking sheet in oven on the bottom rack. Preheat oven to 450° (keep pizza stone or baking sheet in oven as it preheats).
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add mushrooms; sauté 10 minutes or until browned. Stir in vinegar.
- Place pizza dough in a medium microwave-safe bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Microwave at MEDIUM (50% power) for 30 seconds.
- Roll dough to a 14-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Carefully remove pizza stone from oven. Sprinkle cornmeal over stone; place dough on stone. Spread sauce over crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Arrange mushroom mixture, asparagus, and bell peppers over dough. Top pizza with salt, crushed red pepper, and cheese. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes or until browned. Remove pizza from oven. Cut into 8 wedges.
Recipe and photo credit: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/mushroom-asparagus-roasted-red-pepper-pizza